Saturday, November 20, 2004

Going to the Market

I will begin this posting with the promise that we will have some pictures posted early next week. We know that a lot of you like visuals and we will try to be accommodating. Sometimes it is a struggle to pull out the camera and be a tourist, but we will try.
Laura and I went to the market this morning. Our friend Sergei, a New Testament teacher here, took us there and helped us with a lot of purchasing. It was an outdoor market similar to the few that I visited in Guatemala. There was a small canopied area with lots of little shops. There were also vendors all around the perimeter of the place selling almost anything you could imagine. There were lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. I tried to purchase a few things on my own, but again realized that I am pretty helpless. I was excited to find that carrots and cabbage only cost $0.21 per kilogram and these crazy mushrooms that we had never seen before were also very cheap. We hope they are edible.
Tuesday will be a big day for us. Laura will be teaching her first English class and I have a meeting with the academic dean to discuss possibilities for my time here. I also have my first language lesson that day. We thought we might have a lesson last Thursday, but we just met the teacher, Marina. She seemed very friendly as well as qualified. I am going to have lessons on Tuesdays and Thursdays and Laura will have them on Saturdays.
Thursday we took the bus to town (alone) with little difficulty. We tried to take it home as well, but it was dark and we had not paid close enough attention to landmarks for our stop. We got off a stop too soon and ended up walking an extra mile or so in the misty darkness. The walk and conditions lent themselves well to open communication. We are getting along well. I wish I had a cool way to sign off the postings, but I don't.

Dave