Thursday, March 10, 2005

International Women's Day

On Tuesday we experienced our second national holiday of the year (after New Years), International Women’s Day. Some have told us it is the second biggest holiday of the year after New Years, and it seems to be true. March 8 is Mother’s Day, Valentines Day and more all in one day – a day for all women. Women and girls of all ages receive gifts (candy, flowers, perfume, etc.) from the men in their lives and families gather for celebrations and feasts (which women have spent days preparing). Many schools and businesses were open on Saturday, then took Monday and Tuesday off for the holiday. DCU had classes on Monday, and that morning I was surprised to find a collection of gifts on my desk – chocolate, a pen, a tea towel, greeting cards – all from my fellow women colleagues in the English department. Apparently women give other women gifts on women’s day, too. I probably should’ve seen it coming last week when I went to the book market to buy some thank-you cards, and all I could find were a few birthday cards among racks full of Women’s Day cards. Next year I’ll know better.

So Dave and I enjoyed a day of relaxing on Tuesday – we experienced bowling in Ukraine for the first time, at a hotel with several other American families, then went out to eat at a Turkish restaurant. Each of us filled our traditional Ukrainian roles for the day – I made a pancake breakfast and Dave presented me with a bouquet of tulips and a box of chocolates. He had been told by our Russian teacher, Marina, in no uncertain terms, that he was to buy a gift for me, or else. So on Monday he enjoyed a “women’s day” shopping trip to the market with several other DCU husbands, where they each chose gifts for the women in their lives and helped him pick out his tulips. The vendor Dave purchased them from had grown them in his basement – planted and timed perfectly to be ready just in time for the big day on March 8, when flower prices are at least tripled. While at the market Dave wisely also chose a gift for Marina, which was well-received today at our language lesson.


Laura