Friday, April 01, 2005

Weekend with Berny

Last Sunday night Berny Wiens, an agriculture consultant from Canada, came to visit us here at DCU and give advice about our potential agriculture projects. In the two weeks leading up to the meeting, I was quite nervous that he was going to come, be here for fifteen minutes, see it all, and wonder why he had made the four-hour trip from Zaporozhye.

He was scheduled to do his consulting Monday morning and leave by 2 in the afternoon and I was quite surprised that we still had things to talk about and that we will have to continue our conversation by email. Berny has a large, commercial-type garden at home and he was able to analyze the planned locations and crops. We talked about what would be a good plan for the first as well as the locations that would allow the easiest expansion.

I had hoped to plant around an acre this year, and Berny was on board with that. After showing my plan to Laura, we decided to downsize to a little over a half acre (around 25,000 square feet) with room for expansion if the spring weather and student workers lend themselves. I guess she wants me to keep my sanity or something. I just hope that some of my plants actually survive the summer.

-Dave