Monday, June 20, 2005

Spring Rain

Last Thursday we were so happy to experience our first thunderstorm in Ukraine. Actually it was the first significant rainfall that we have experienced since getting the garden planted and therefore it was a real Godsend. We went to language lesson and it seemed like a typical sunny day, but while we were there it started to pour. Luckily Marina had an extra umbrella to aid us on our trip home.

Now I must admit that I was really excited. The pitter-patter of rain on the bus roof was a beautiful melody. I was in a different world and remained there as I exited the bus. The roads are far from well engineered so avoiding the traffic spray is a real task. I was successful as I sprinted across the road, but I had not thought through the process of stopping. I slipped and fell into a large area of mud and my backside was quite covered. Fortunately there was a large crowd of fifteen to twenty people there to witness the show. Welcome to reality.

It has rained every day since then and my excitement (as well as that of my garden) has not ceased. Fortunately I have started to look more closely where I am going.


Dave