Monday, July 04, 2005

Retreat Highlight

Last week, we were in France for the annual MCC Europe summer retreat. Since Laura is better at writing about serious things, she will write more about what we experienced there and I am going to write about my own highlight. I brought my two baseball gloves because I knew that Liz would be there and I never miss an opportunity to play. On the first evening there, I found out that there were 2 more people that were really interested in playing. One also said that he really misses playing in Bosnia. So we played as often as possible.

Personally I find that playing catch is the best relaxing, social experience. It requires so little focus and therefore allows for great conversation. And there is something about the snap of the glove when the ball hits the catch pocket that just can’t be described. I have tried to teach a lot of the kids here at DCU how to play, but they are a bit young and always try to basket catch. Due to the language barrier, it is also difficult to instruct them, but I haven’t given up. They are making progress, but there will never be quite the same level or type of conversation (about life or especially about American sports) with them. My goal is that someday it may almost sound intelligible. Anyway, that part of retreat was awesome.

Dave