Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Lithuania

I'm posting this entry from Klaipeda, Lithuania, where I have spent the last couple days exploring Lithuania Christian College (LCC) and spending time with my fellow MCCer and friend Robin Gingerich. I headed towards the Baltics to attend a conference/retreat in Tallinn, Estonia by invitation of some of my American friends in Donetsk and thought I should stop in Lithuania since it was kind of on the way. Ideally I would've liked to visit during July, when LCC's summer English program is in full swing, to lobserve what happens and pick up some tips for DCU's program. But since DCU's program is also in July, I settled for October. The leaves are beautiful, although it has rained quite a bit. I've also connected with Anna Detrich, who's at LCC for the year and she and Robin have shown me LCC and a little bit of Klaipeda. LCC is a unique place - a Christian liberal arts college in the midst of Eastern Europe where no such idea/institution existed before. The language of instruction is English, but I hear Russian, Lithuanian and other languages in the hallways, mixed with English. The facilities are new and very nice and I've learned a lot about the school as well as the English programs - and have a few ideas to take back to implement in DCU's English program.

I've just stopped by for a few days, this afternoon I leave for Lithuania's capital, Vilnius, where I'll spend a little time being a tourist, and then head to Tallinn.

Laura