Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The Next Step

It’s official—Laura and I will be moving to Durham, North Carolina, on August 21 of this year. We have decided that I will attend Duke Theological Seminary and probably the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, working towards a Masters of Divinity and a Masters of Social Work. It is a four-year program with many of the classes fulfilling requirements of both programs. We'll finish our term here a little early so I can start classes in August.

I have withdrawn my applications from the other programs that we were considering. I have spent a lot of time and effort in communication with schools. It was very difficult for us to withdraw the apps, after I spent so much time filling them out and Laura spent so much time proofreading them and making them at least somewhat coherent. We are happy to have the decision made already.

A friend of mine told me that it’s pretty common for people in our shoes - near the end of our MCC term - to “check-out six months early.” It is our hope that, with the decision already made, we will be able to focus on our responsibilities here. The urge is always there to talk the ear off of anyone willing to listen to my future plans. But seriously, people here have much more interesting things to think and talk about.

Dave