Monday, December 19, 2005

Basketball at the Center

At around 4 in the afternoon every Monday and Thursday I head to the Good Shepherd Center in Makeevka. It is an orphanage that currently houses 32 children, ages 5-15. Andrew Geddert (an MCC worker) was there full-time until June, but his replacement has not yet been found. He worked there full-time, and was a psychologist of sorts. I could not fill his job description, but I go there anyway. I go mainly to play basketball, but also to spend some time with the kids (and maybe give the staffers a little more peace and quiet for a few hours).

Usually 7-10 kids show up, with varying degrees of skill and motivation. It is interesting to note that the two girls who regularly show up are two of the best players there. I usually try to convince them to do some drills at the beginning but, like all the basketball players I have ever met, all they want to do is scrimmage. I also like this part of our “practices” because that is when I am able to play as well. I keep a whistle in my mouth, but I rarely blow it because it is more fun to just play, and let them play.

I have heard that Good Shepherd is one of two Christian orphanages in Ukraine (but this may not be completely accurate–my Russian is not great and I am sure it is difficult to really know all the orphanages in the country). By any means, I have thought a lot about the jobs of the people at the center. They are paid little to be everything to these 32 kids: parents, teachers, role models, friends, … And I imagine with so many kids and so few “educators” and “assistants,” they have their work cut out for them. While it sometimes seems a bit loud and unruly there, I am amazed at how well behaved the kids are. It is a really great place. I am glad to contribute the little that I do and hope to continue this throughout my time here.