Thursday, December 22, 2005

Yarmarka

Last week things finally began to feel Christmasy at DCU, and it began with an event we hadn’t observed before, a yarmarka. It was sort of a craft fair/bake sale. We didn’t really know what to expect beforehand, but since I was feeling like I needed a boost to get into the Christmas spirit, I decided to bake some cookies. And then the next day, we baked some more. All told, I think Dave and I baked more than 100 cookies for the sale. I was a little nervous that they would think that I was crazy and trying to earn big bucks from a bake sale. But they liked my cookies, especially the gingerbread ones. My uncle and aunt, Dave and Shirl, had sent us a great package that included a gingerbread man cookie cutter, and since it was the only one I had, I went to town with gingerbread men, complete with frosting buttons and goofy smiles.

The yarmarka was quick but fun. Ukrainians do very good handiwork, so there was cross-stitching and embroidery galore. Also lots of cookies and even some Ukrainian vereniki – dumplings filled with cabbage, meat, cottage cheese or potatoes. In the center of the room, two students led children’s games and competitions, which ranged from seeing who could eat a whole lemon the fastest to racing to diaper and wrap up a baby doll in the neatest and most attractive way. (Two male DCU students competed in that contest, for the entertainment of the women and girls looking on). And then after about an hour and a half, it was over. The food was all gone, the games were finished, so we all went home. I was a little surprised that it was over so fast, but it was still a good time and was a good start to celebrating Christmas at DCU.

Laura